Playworks is the only nonprofit organization in the country to send trained, full-time coaches to low-income, urban schools, where they transform recess and play into a positive experience that helps kids and teachers get the most out of every learning opportunity. It launched its Arizona operations in 2011, and while those who witness the program quickly become program ambassadors, educating the general public on the program benefits, and increasing fundraising to expand the program was a slow process.
The locally well-known Chompie’s, Arizona’s New York Deli, which has four locations in the Phoenix Metropolitan area was an early supporter of the Playworks Arizona mission. It offered to donate a portion of each children’s meal sold to the non-profit to help grow and expand the program into more schools.
Working on behalf of Playworks Arizona, 10 to 1 Public Relations worked closely with Chompie’s to redesign its children’s menu to serve as an education opportunity to share the Playworks mission and educate the community of the non-profit. 10 to 1 Public Relations also created a media launch of the program, to make Phoenix area residents aware of Chompie’s commitment to Playworks, and to bring additional awareness to the Playworks program.
10 to 1 Public Relations played a direct, leadership role in:
- Re-designing the Chompie’s Kids Menu with fun activities that taught the Playworks mission regarding inclusion, sharing, and conflict resolution.
- Delivered more than 20 boxes of a dozen bagels to Phoenix area media outlets to encourage attendance at program launch events.
- Created a two opportunity media announcement where media could attend a launch announcement at a school to see the Playworks program, and later that same day media could also visit a Chompie’s location where kids from a Playworks school were bussed after school to receive a cooking lesson from a Chompie’s chef of some of the items on the kids menu.
- Several TV and radio segments were scheduled with Playworks and Chompie’s to announce the partnership and new menus.
- Numerous print outlets ran stories on the new children’s menus that would benefit the Playworks program. The success of the menu project has led to new partnerships and shared media efforts between the entities.